Nutcracker Ballet Inspired Nontraditional Christmas Mantel Plus A Tutu Tree Skirt!


Hi there! Throughout the weekend, I saw photos and posts from friends decorating for Christmas.  There's just something about this joyous season that brings out the child in us, isn't there? Today I'm sharing my mantel and a simple tree skirt, both inspired by The Nutcracker Ballet. 


Nutcracker Ballet mantel


Last year, I created a Nutcracker Inspired Dress Form Christmas Tree and enjoyed it so much, I decided to extend the theme and nontraditional colors to my mantel. I started with the ballet pink lace runner from last week's fabulous finds.  


Nutcracker Ballet mantel



Next I added the tall glittered nutcracker from last year, sparkly pom-pom garland and a wintery white thrift store tree. 


Nutcracker Ballet mantel


On the left side, I placed the handmade branch tree I found at an estate sale a few years ago and used previously as a winter centerpiece. I decorated it with my "new" Shiny Brite ornaments, then added the same sparkly silver garland I used on my Christmas dress form tree, across the entire mantel. I tucked in some faux mercury glass lights that I bought years ago on clearance in the garden section.  Various tiny white bottle brushes were also added to the winter wonderland.


Nutcracker ballet mantel


Last, Clara and an assortment of Nutcrackers were placed in the wintery white, metallic and pastel colored mantelscape.  Do you recognize the gold tree? I'll be sharing its makeover soon.  


pastel Nutcracker Ballet mantel


Here's a peek at the full mantel....


pastel Nutcracker Ballet mantel


When I first posted my dress form Christmas tree, I shared my sentimental attachment to The Nutcracker and sweet memories of my girls performing in the local ballet. I've held on to this beautiful tutu Dear Firstborn wore and have always wanted to find a way to display it without cutting or altering it. 


Repurposed tutu tree skirt


I realized with a little creativity, it would be the perfect tree skirt for my alternative Christmas tree. I started by shaking the full skirt out. Next, I tucked the attached leotard inside the tulle skirt, and then draped the skirt around the base of the dress form. Shake-Tuck-Drape, easy as 1-2-3! I realize not everyone has a spare tutu in the closet, but check thrift stores! Shorter tutus could be combined or several yards of tulle would create a similar effect.  


repurposed tutu tree skirt



Pin it! My Thrift Store Addiction




Repurposed tutu tree skirt



nontraditional Nutcracker ballet inspired Christmas decor


When it comes to Christmas decorations, do you prefer traditional colors or nontraditional like neutrals, metallics or pastels? 


repurposed tutu tree skirt




My Thrift Store Addiction signature




party link

Would you like to comment?

  1. Ok, I was wrong...I didn't see you using the pretty scarf for the mantel. I thought you were going to use it on your tree. ;) Love all your Nutcracker ideas. The mantel looks beautiful - I like what you did to the ceramic tree! The tutu skirt on your tree is the perfect touch. I added red to my silver and white this year. But at the farm it's traditional colors all the way!
    Hugs,
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the metallic and pastels as you have used here but they wouldn't go in my house. I can enjoy them in your home though! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all your NT Christmas decor. Using your daughter's Nutcracker costume is genius and so pretty. I use pastels in some rooms and traditional colors in others. I'll get started decorating this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing at the Snickerdoodle Create~Bake~Make link party! I appreciate your support.

      Delete
  4. You've created a very pretty and very special Christmas mantel display. I remember the dress form from last year, so lovely! And your fondness for The Nutcracker is so sweet. I have a bolt of thrift store tulle that I thought I might use for my white tree...we'll have to see. Some years I'm silver and/or gold but this year it's traditional colors all the way! xoKathleen Charm Bracelet Diva {at Home}

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your take on Christmas! It's refreshing and colorful...how fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually go for traditional colors but could easily go with the pastels too. I recognize the tree and voted for you to keep it when you shared it with us. Love the mantel with all the feminine touches ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually go for traditional colors but could easily go with the pastels too. I recognize the tree and voted for you to keep it when you shared it with us. Love the mantel with all the feminine touches ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cecilia,
    I adore this post and the memories you have shared. This is a beautiful Christmas mantel!
    Jemma

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word! Everything about this is just amazing, Cecilia! And you know that you and I share precious memories from The Nutcracker with our dancer daughters ;) My son-in-law is in 3 Nutcrackers this year, but my daughter opted out of the one she usually does. Needless to say, they get tired of hearing the music, haha, but I never do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the tiny ballet shoe decorations

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lovely is your decor. Amazing theme and everything looks so beautiful. Thank you for sharing at Dishing it and Digging it link party.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your holiday decor, have to say I've been on the hunt all year for the perfect dress form to create my own mannequin tree! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the mantle Cecilia! And the tutu is absolutely perfect. Never had a dancer, but who doesn't love the Nutcracker? Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to read your thoughtful comments and enjoy responding to each one! I will respond to your comments here. You may check back to see my response or check the "notify me" box. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!